I have been looking for ideas on how to keeping pets out of the gardens. I think the most foolproof way is to install netting or fencing around the perimeter of the plants. My internet search also included some rather interesting and questionable methods for detering pets. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has tried any of these methods or if you have your own method for keeping pets out.
- Putting Mothballs around the garden will keep pets away.(The smell would keep me away too)
- Putting pepper which will make the pets sneeze and leave the garden.
- Spray Listerine or the product bitter apple which should repel animals. (However, my sister’s lab mix actually liked the taste of bitter apple)
- There is an old folk remedy and I am not sure why this would work where you place one gallon plastic milk jugs filled with water around the perimeter of the property. (I’m sure my neighbors would love that landscaping idea)
- Don’t use fish emulsion fertilizier as the smell will attract dogs, cats, racoons, and skunks.
- Spread ground hot chile peppers overly new planted beds to prevent dogs and cats from digging. The chemical capsicum will give a burning sensation which should keep them out of the garden.